Saturday, May 4, 2013

A Job Offer

As I've mentioned, I have to leave my job for this coming school year.  I've applied a bunch of places, and had my first interview two days ago at a high school for a ninth grade Spanish position.  I was not at all excited for the interview... I adore teaching middle school, I love the awkwardness of the age, and I just hate to admit that I'm really leaving my school.

The morning I had the interview I also had to go get emergency oral surgery and get all 4 wisdom teeth extracted, so I was just in a delightful mood, and really peachy with the principal and vice principal.  I am shocked they sent me an email inviting me to join their staff this evening.


When I walked into the building, it felt comfortable.  Too comfortable.  It felt exactly like where I went to high school.  If I wanted to teach an easy, suburban demographic, I wouldn't live fifteen hours from home.  I know that all students need good teachers, and I'm grappling with being selfish and what the Lord has for me in Memphis and what it's going to look like now that I'm not called to be at Hamilton anymore.  But this school seemed just too easy.  The position would be teaching ninth graders only, and all Spanish 1.

The school was full of upper-middle class kids, lots of privilege and not a lot of challenge.  I didn't move fifteen hours away from my friends and family to work with the high school I grew up going to.  I want to serve the kids who are under-served.  Who miss out on chances.  Who don't have a voice.  I want to advocate for those babies.  I want to love the kids who are missing chances because of their zip code.  While I'm in Memphis, I want to seek out the kids who deserve every opportunity to reach their highest potential, in my classroom, and help their achieve their biggest dreams.


Yes, this ninth grade Spanish job would have been great.  Really easy, a wonderful team to work for.  But it's not the place for me.  Not while I'm in Memphis.  That's not what I'm here for.

No comments:

Post a Comment